Super Chef Yessy Roman prepared a Fearless Friday treat that was so good, one Lower School student took the entire plate back to his table. The Roasted Purple Cauliflower with Pickled Red Onions was a surprise hit!
Food Service Director Laura Reynolds-Gorsuch, who notoriously doesn’t like vegetables but is willing to have Super Chef make a preparation that she might like, wasn’t so sure about the cauliflower dish. She knew what the ingredients were, since she does the food purchasing, and she even had some chocolate milk ready to wash it down if she didn’t like it. Maybe it was the purple color, but she declared it one of the best vegetable dishes she’s ever had!
Recipe: Roasted Purple Cauliflower with Pickled Red Onions
- 1 lb. purple cauliflower, cut into florets
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 1 cup of oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add cauliflower florets to bowl and mix to coat.
- Spread cauliflower on a shallow pan, and roast in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- While cauliflower roasts, heat remaining 1 cup of oil in a deep frying pan.
- Add garlic and red onions, and cook until onions sweat.
- Add lime and lemon juice, and cook over low heat until onions soften slightly.
- Set onion mixture aside to cool slightly, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put roasted cauliflower in a bowl, pour onion mixture over the cauliflower, and serve.