Beginning in 8th grade, students can choose to pursue the Global Engagement Diploma, a unique program that allows students a chance to engage with local and international organizations and communities. Designed to offer students choice, autonomy, and accountability, the requirements for the Global Diploma serve as a road map and every experience a student has leads to the next one.
The profile of a global scholar is a highly dedicated and self-motivated student who strives to understand the world he/she will inherit, increase his/her global empathy, and give back to local and international communities.
The global scholar strives to:
- Understand how the world is interconnected
- Have awareness of the possibilities and constraints facing people from all over the world
- Think critically about the world and their role in it
- Have an appreciation for the different cultures, customs, systems, and relationships that exist all over the globe
- Have awareness of how vast the world is and how they can travel to leave their own footprint wherever they go
- Be curious and inquisitive
- Have an appreciation for world languages
- Understand their responsibility on a global scale which includes respect for all diversity
- Understand the skills and technologies necessary for life in the 21st century
- Advocate for human rights and positive change in the world
Students interested in pursuing the global diploma can apply during their 8th or 9th grade year.
Contact the AC Center of Global Engagement Director, Tynisha Lougher, for more information or to apply.