Important Information from the Health Office

Posted on September 1st, 2017 by klapa

All students who are new to Allendale Columbia must provide the Health Office with a Health Appraisal form that has been completed by a New York State licensed primary care provider and documented with up-to-date immunizations. New York State has strict immunization requirements, and this documentation must be submitted to the Health Office by the first day of school. New York State Immunization Requirements for School Entrance can be accessed at

Health Appraisal Form
The Health Appraisal form needs to be completed for all students who are new to Allendale Columbia School, including students entering the nursery school program, and by returning students in pre-K, kindergarten, grades 2, 4, 7, and 10, and yearly if a student is participating in interscholastic sports. The Health Appraisal form is written documentation of a pediatric physical exam. All Monroe County pediatricians are familiar with the Education Law requiring the completion of this form, and most pediatric groups now use computer-generated Health Appraisal forms for physical exam documentation. If a student is a returning student in grade 2, 4, 7, or 10, the form must be returned within 30 days of entry into school. Returning students in pre-K and kindergarten must return the form by the first day of the school year with the updated immunizations documented on the form. If your child is a returning student and participates in an interscholastic sport, it is necessary that the Health Appraisal form be completed within 12 months of the start of the sport season that the student participates in.

Medication in School
A Permission to Administer Medication in School form must be completed by the student’s primary care provider for each school year if a student requires any medication in school, after school during school sponsored sports or activities, and all field trips. The Health Appraisal form also has a section where the primary care provider may write a medication order for medication administration during school. Medication includes over-the-counter medication such as Tylenol, Advil, or cough drops.

Medication must be brought to school by an adult and picked up at the end of the school year by an adult. Medication that is not picked up at the end of the school year will be discarded. Prescription medication must be in the original bottle, properly labeled. Non-prescription medication must be in the original bottle or packaging with the student’s name on it. Inhalers need a prescription label on the inhaler canister. If a student has a medication order for an Epi-pen, or has a diagnosed food, latex, or bee sting allergy, is diabetic, or has a seizure disorder, or any other medical condition necessitating an Emergency Care Plan, the student’s non-parent primary care provider must complete an Emergency Care Plan form each year and the ECP must be submitted to the Health Office by the first day of school.

Students who wish to participate in a school sponsored interscholastic sport must have a Health Appraisal form on file in the Health Office. A non-parent primary care provider must sign the form and the date of the actual physical exam must be within 12 months of the start of the sport season. If the Health Appraisal form date does not fall within the 12-month time frame, the student athlete may not participate in practice until a current Health Appraisal form is submitted. In addition, the parent needs to register their child online with the Family ID website prior to the start of each sport season that the student wishes to participate in. It is the student’s and parent’s responsibility to ensure that the health appraisal form is current and submitted to the health office and that the athlete is registered on the Family ID website. The student may not begin participation in the sport until this has been done and the school nurse has cleared the student to participate.

Posted in: LS Birches, MS Birches, The Birches, US Birches

← Allendale Columbia Nut-Free Policy Days on Which Districts are Not Providing Transportation for 2017-2018 →