Dear Middle School Parents,
For those of you who are new to the Allendale Columbia family, we hope this message finds you excited about the new start in September. We are thrilled that you are joining us. For returning families, we hope you have had a relaxing break, and are starting to ponder what it will feel like to start another school year soon. We have been working extremely hard to prepare the school for the students’ return in September.
In this letter, you will find the following:
- Key dates coming up in August and September. Some of these dates will apply to all Middle School families, and some will only apply to certain grade levels, and this should be clear below.
- Key pieces of information, including a list of resources and places where you will find everything you need for a smooth start.
- August 24th (5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.): Lower School and Middle School Welcome Back Picnic – This event will take place at King’s Bend Park in Pittsford. Click here for more details about this event.
- August 28th (6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.): Parent Orientation – This event is for all 6th grade parents who are new to the Middle School division and all parents of new students at any Middle School grade level. We look forward to meeting you at this event. This gathering is not for Middle School students, but for their parents to ask questions, learn about the upcoming school year, and socialize with each other.
- August 27th: Modified Sports Begin – Practice times and campus locations vary for each sport. For detailed information about athletics, please visit www.hacathletics.org or reach out to Ray Istas at email@example.com.
- September 4th (11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.): New Student Orientation – This event is for all incoming 6th grade students as well as any students who are new in 7th or 8th grade. It is for students only, and parents can drop their students off at the Welcome Desk area at 11:25 a.m. During this event, students will practice their schedule, meet their teachers, meet their advisor, practice opening their lockers, as well as get their questions answered prior to the first day of school. Students should dress for the weather, wear shoes that are comfortable to walk in, and can bring in items that they want to use to decorate the inside of their locker if they would like (please note that decorating lockers is not required or expected). A pizza lunch will be provided by our kitchen staff.
- September 5th: First Day of School for Grades K-12 – There is supervision for Middle School students starting at 7:30 a.m., and students are allowed in the Library, Dining Commons, courtyard, and Middle School hallway before school. The school day starts at 8:15 a.m. in the Middle School Space and classes begin at 8:20 a.m. General dismissal takes place at 3:00 p.m.
- September 17th (6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.): Middle School Parents’ Night – This event provides an opportunity to meet the Middle School faculty, ask questions about curriculum, and hear more about our academic program. This event will start at 6:30 p.m. in the Dining Commons, and appetizers will be available. We hope you will join us to learn more about what we are doing in our classes. This is also the first opportunity to sign up for conference times in November. This event is open to all Middle School parents, and students are encouraged to attend with their parents and function as tour guides.
Key Pieces of Information
- MyAllendaleColumbia.org: Also referred to as MyAC, this is the one stop online place for all AC-related information. It can be accessed by going to www.myallendalecolumbia.org.
- Summer Reading: Please follow this link to find out more about summer reading assignments.
- Supply Lists: Please click on the following links for access to the list that applies to your student’s grade level: 6th Grade, 7th Grade, 8th Grade.
- The Birches: This incredible resource is where all of the school announcements are published. You can subscribe to this list, so that you are emailed any time something new is published. It can be found on MyAC or by following this link.
- Formal Dance Instruction and Etiquette Class (for 5th and 6th graders only): AC’s annual Formal Dance Instruction and Etiquette Class for 5th and 6th graders will run from October 5th – November 30th and include swing and ballroom instruction, proper introductions and greetings, table etiquette, and more, this year with a global twist. Click here for more information, and please note that there is a discount for registering by August 21st.
- Pathfinder (for parents of 7th graders only): If your child is going into 7th grade, you should have received information from Aaron Shepard (Middle School English Teacher and Pathfinder Coordinator) about the Pathfinder trip. This overnight trip is for all 7th grade students and takes place from September 24th – 28th. Students need a current passport or passport card for this trip. If you have any questions, please contact Aaron Shepard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Until then, enjoy the warmer weather and summer activities, vacations, and family time!
Head of Middle School