Students who sing or play a woodwind, brass, percussion, or string instrument will have an opportunity to perform in one of the upcoming MCSMA solo festivals. Students were informed of these opportunities in September. The dates and locations are as follows:
- Vocal Solo Festival (Grades 6-12): January 4th and 5th at Brighton High School
- Senior High (Grades 9-12) Instrumental Festival: January 11th and 12th at Fairport Minerva-Deland School
- Turn in Registration Form and fees to Mr. Constanzo by Tuesday, November 13th.
- Junior High (Grades 7-8) Instrumental Festival: January 18th and 19th at Brighton Twelve Corners Middle School
- Elementary (Grades 4-6) Instrumental Festival: January 25th-26th at Pittsford Barker Road Middle School.
Checks should be made out to Allendale Columbia School, with the memo “Solo Fest”.
About Solo Festivals
As a member school in the Monroe County School Music Association (MCSMA) and the New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA), Allendale Columbia School supports student participation in all of the county and state level solo and performance festivals each year. These festivals offer valuable performance opportunities for vocal students as well as students of orchestral string, woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments.
Students have the opportunity to prepare a solo piece with the help of their teachers, perform for a trained adjudicator, and receive feedback. It’s a great opportunity for students who show a strong interest in music, and we encourage any vocal or instrumental student to participate. Music selections are chosen from the NYSSMA manual, with the advice of a teacher and input from the student.
Any questions about solo festivals can be directed to any of the music teachers at AC.