Post written by Nursery teacher Donna Kwiatkoswki
Nursery and pre-kindergarten students had a visit from Taylor’s Dad, Goody Thomas, who spoke to us about his job as an AirTran pilot. He showed us a poster of the inside of a Boeing 737 cockpit with all of the controls and we looked at models of airplanes. Mr. Thomas wore his pilot uniform and let us try on his official hat. We also learned about another plane he flies as a member of the US Unlimited Aerobatic Team.
We watched a video of Mr. Thomas flying in Italy in the World Championship.
The children had many excellent questions and comments, such as:
- “How do the controls get controlled?”
- “What if lightning hits the plane?”
- “What if the two engines fall off?”
- “What happens if the wind sweeps the plane away?”
- “How does the plane turn?”
- “I want to be a policeman and a pilot.” This led to a discussion about air marshalls
- Looking at Mr. Thomas’ USA flag pin on his uniform, a student said proudly “I live in that flag!”
Posted in: Highlights, Pre-Primary School