Allendale Columbia School is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in our community, and we are proud to be one of the more than 400 local organizations to participate in the United Way of Greater Rochester’s 21-Day Equity Challenge. Prior to the Challenge, AC hosted a series of equity events, including a town hall meeting to explore the history of racism and resistance in Rochester as well as several listening sessions for parents and alumni.
The 21-Day Equity Challenge covered a wide range of topics including basic definitions of bias and privilege as well as an overview of the challenges of talking about race. Education was a key focus of the series and included an examination of the economic and racial segregation of our local schools. It also offered critical tips on how to talk to children about race.
The Challenge also showed how racial discrimination impacts many sectors including housing, wealth, the environment and health outcomes. It closed with a call to action that included advice on allyship and building a culture of racial equity within organizations.
Students, parents, faculty, administrators, and staff from Allendale Columbia School participated in the Equity Challenge. There will be an opportunity for them to come together and reflect on the experience in the near future, and we plan to return to these valuable resources as we work toward achieving our equity goals.
For more information about how you can get involved in these important discussions, please contact Lindsey Brown, Director of Equity and Community Engagement.
Posted in: Diversity Equity and Inclusion, Highlights
- For every $100 a woman makes, a man makes $258.
- Women of color hold 3% of C-suite positions.
- 7 in 10 working fathers want to work more flexibly.
- People with Disabilities are significantly more likely to experience unfair treatment at work than non-disabled people.
- Transgender people are twice as licely to be unemployed and four times as likely to live in poverty.
- 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health issue each year.
- Team performance improves 50% when everybody feels included.
Posted in: Diversity Equity and Inclusion