Dear AC Parents and Students,
I hope this message finds you excited about the start of school in September. I am happy to join the Allendale Columbia community and look forward to everyone arriving on campus soon. The Upper School team has been working extremely hard to prepare the school for the students’ return in September.
In this letter, you will find the following:
- Key dates coming up in August and September. Some of these dates will apply to all Upper School families and some will only apply to certain grade levels; this should be clear below.
- Key pieces of information, including a list of resources and places where you will find everything you need for a smooth start.
- August 13th: JV and Varsity Sports Begin – Practice times and campus locations vary for each sport. For detailed information about athletics, please visit www.hacathletics.org or reach out to Ray Istas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 28th (6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.): New Parent Orientation – This event is for all parents who are new to AC. We look forward to meeting you at this event. This gathering is not for students but for their parents to ask questions, learn about the upcoming school year, and socialize with each other.
- September 4th (11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.): New Student Orientation – This event is for all incoming 9th grade students as well as any students who are new to the Upper School. It is for students only, and parents can drop their students off at the Welcome Desk area at 11:25 a.m. During this event, students will meet current Upper School students, meet other new students, tour the school, and learn some inside information about AC. There will be a time for them to get their questions answered prior to the first day of school. Lunch will also be provided.
- September 5th: First Day of School for Grades K-12 – There is supervision for students starting at 7:30 a.m., and they are allowed in the Library, Dining Commons, courtyard, and lounges before school. The school day starts at 8:15 a.m., and homeroom and classes begin at 8:20 a.m. General dismissal takes place at 3:00 p.m.
- September 7th: Class Days – The tradition of Class Days continues this year with students participating with classmates in various team building workshops and activities. This serves to build bonds between new and returning students as well as build our culture at AC and set norms for the year. Our seniors will be spending the night on Friday and returning Saturday, and grades 9-11 will be returning to campus by 3:00 p.m. for buses on Friday. More information about this day will be coming soon from Diane Broberg, Upper School Dean of Students. Because seniors will be going overnight on Friday, September 7th, to Saturday, September 8th, we are encouraging seniors to take the ACT in October if possible.
- September 10th: Rosh Hashanah – No School
- September 13th (6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.): Upper School Parent Night – Come out and meet your child’s teachers, learn about our program, and meet and socialize with other parents. You will receive more detailed information closer to this event, so mark your calendars.
- September 14th (5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.): PACK Upper School Welcome Back Picnic – This event is for all Upper School families and will be held at King’s Bend Park. More details to follow. Hope to see you there!
- September 19th: Yom Kippur- No School
- September 21st & 22nd: Blue and White Day & Homecoming – The traditional Blue and White Day will occur the Friday before Homecoming. More details will follow as September approaches.
Key Pieces of Information
- MyAllendaleColumbia.org: Also referred to as MyAC, this is the one stop online place for all AC-related information. It can be accessed by going to www.myallendalecolumbia.org.
- Summer Reading: Please follow this link to find out more about summer assignments. Precalculus and AP AB Calculus also have assignments associated with their course.
- Supply Lists:
- We recommend that students have a note-taking pad or book for each class. Whether a student takes notes in one large notebook that contains all class information or has one for each class is up to them.
- We will provide any specialized equipment for students including calculators (checked out and returned at the end of the year) and laptops for students in 9th – 11th grade. (Students in 12th grade are welcome to bring their own laptop to school, however a computer at school is not required for 12th graders.)
- Books will be provided.
- We recommend that students bring a backpack or bag as well as writing utensils (pencils and pens), paper, and anything else needed to engage in normal everyday classroom activities.
- You can get a printable supply list on MyAC under Parent Resources.
- The Birches: This incredible resource is where all of the school announcements are published. You can subscribe to this list so that you are emailed any time something new is published. It can be found on the MyAC Parent Dashboard or by following this link.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Until then, enjoy the warmer weather and summer activities, vacations, and family time!
Head of Upper School